All that remains of The New Palace Cinema in Edinburgh’s High Street is the ornamental carved stonework proclaiming its name. This picture house was visited by film-fans in cinemas heyday from 1929
until it closed in 1956. After laying derelict for many years the building is now mixed retail and housing. For the best view sneak halfway up the steps outside John Knox’s House on the Royal Mile.